DVLA: 0870 280 2395

Call the DVLA contact number to speak to the DVLA about your vehicle tax, changing the address on your driving licence, ordering a new V5 and much more. The DVLA phone number is available between the hours of 8am to 7pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm on Saturdays. DVLA customer service is closed on Sundays.

DVLA Contact Number
0870 280 2395

Useful DVLA Contact Numbers:

DepartmentPhone Number
DVLA Customer Service0870 280 2395
Vehicle Registration0870 280 0475
V5C Certificates0870 280 0463
Vehicle Tax & SORN0870 280 7782
Driving Licences0870 280 5543
Driving & Medical Issues0870 280 5643
Driver Check Service0870 280 6342
Welsh Language Enquiries0870 280 5498
Driving Tests0870 280 6376
MOT’s0870 280 0501

DVLA Phone Number Opening Times:

Monday to Friday8:00am-7:00pm

Contact DVLA By Post:

DVLA Complaints Address:
Complaints Team
Oliver Morley – Chief Executive:
Chief Executive’s Office
DVLA vehicle registration enquiries:
Vehicle Customer Services
SA99 1AR
DVLA driver licensing enquiries:
Drivers Customer Services
Correspondence Team
DVLA drivers’ medical enquiries:
Drivers’ Medical Enquiries
SA99 1TU
DVLA driving License Check:
Driver Licence Validation Service
SA99 1AJ

The DVLA is a UK organisation that is completely run by the government. It is their job to make sure that the drivers in Britain have their vehicles monitored. When you use the DVLA contact number in Ireland then you will need to call the DVA, the counterpart agency for drivers in Ireland. The DVLA is responsible for issuing licenses, personal registrations and so much more and they are an executive agency of the DFT as well. The DVLA is based in Swansea and they have a 16 storey building that is located in Clase. The DVLA was previously known as the DVLC but these offices were closed in 2013. The agency now does all of their work online but it is possible to send them a letter or ring them yourself using the DVLA contact number above.

Why Would You Call the DVLA Phone Number?

The main DVLA contact number is 0300 123 4321 and when you call this number you will find that they can help you with anything from taxing your car to requesting new documentation. The DVLA can also help you if you have a personalised registration plate as well. If you need other services then they can help you with your blue badge, booking a driving test, driving with a disability, car registration, logbooks, photographs and so much more. The phone number for the DVLA can also help you if you have any questions about a certain issue, but for a special requirement then you will need to give them a call. This is especially the case if you need a form in Braille or larger print. It is also possible for them to print forms out for you in another language so this is a great way to get what you want. If you do not own a vehicle at the moment then you can still use the DVLA phone number to ask them about what they can do for you.

When you call DVLA, help is available for a broad range of topics, including:

  • Getting a License
  • Renewing a License
  • Reporting a Lost License
  • Updating Records
  • Purchasing Plates
  • Ordering Private Plates
  • Reporting Infractions
  • Bereavements
  • License Testing
  • And More

Contacting the DVLA about Vehicle Tax

To tax your car or any other vehicle that you have then you will need to use your V11 letter. If you don’t have one of these letters then you can use your V5C logbook instead. You just need to make sure that it is in your name. The fastest way to get a replacement V5 document is to call the DVLA contact number on 0300 123 4321. They will also be able to help if you need a new keeper supplement or if you have a last chance warning letter that you need to deal with. To contact the DVLA via text phone then please call 0300 790 6201. It is also possible to send them information by post. To do this, you will need your V11, a V5C and a V5C/2 if you have only just bought the vehicle. In some instances you may also need your MOT certificate and a reduced pollution certificate. To keep your vehicle on the road then you can make a SORN notification instead of getting it taxed.

Paying Your Vehicle Tax By Direct Debit

To pay your tax via direct debit then you’ll need to have your address and your date of birth as to hand. You will also need your bank name, your sort code and your account number. If you have an account that needs two signatures then you won’t be able to set up a direct debit and after you have completed all of the required steps you will receive a letter in the post. You should also note that the payments will be take on the first day of the working month but your first payment may not be taken on this day because it will be taken on the day your tax starts. If this is going to be a problem for you then don’t worry because you can always get in touch with the DVLA through the DVLA contact number. You may also wish to call the DVLA to tell them that there isn’t enough money in your bank and when you do this then they will try again to collect the payment in four working days. If there still isn’t enough money in your bank by this point then they will cancel the standing order that you have and you will need to renew your application all over again. You won’t have your direct debit renew again unless you cancel it or make a SORN. You won’t have to pay it if your MOT expires before the payment is taken either but you can always use the DVLA telephone number to find out more.

Call DVLA About Getting A New V5C

To get a V5C for your vehicle then you will need to send off a V62. If you have had your V5C book lost or stolen then you can apply without any problem and if you purchase a vehicle without first having a V5C then you may not be able to take it out on the road until you go ahead and get one. You can call the DVLA phone number if you are on the original register but you can’t make your application by phone if you have a different name, address or vehicle. When you apply by phone, it can also take 5 working days for you to receive your new certificate. The best DVLA phone number to get through is 0300 123 4321.

Contact The DVLA By post

To apply by post then you will need to get a V62 and you will need to send this to the DVLA however you will incur a £25 fee. It is possible for you to pay by cheque as well if this is something that you would like to try. If you have never had a V5C certificate then you won’t experience any fee at all and this is especially the case if you have the green part of your V5C/2. You will need to pair this with your V62 before you send it off. The address for this can be found below:

SA99 1DD 

If you apply by post then it can take over 6 weeks for it to be processed.

Tax Your Vehicle Through The Post Office

It is possible for you to tax your vehicle at some post office branches at the exact same time but only if you are the keeper of your vehicle. You will need to complete the V62 application if you want this to be the case and you can only take it to a post office that deals with vehicle tax as well. Again, you may need to pay the £25 fee and if you are not the registered keeper then you will need to get a V5C before the tax can be paid. If you have only just purchased the vehicle then you won’t have one of these but you can use your V5C/2 if required.

Remove a Registration

You can apply to take your registration plate off one of your vehicles if you want to transfer it to another vehicle of yours or you can hold on to it to use it at a later date. You can keep this registration as long as you want and there is a fee for this as well. This will cost you £80 and can be done by using the DVLA helpline on 0300 123 4321. This service is available from 8am to 6pm and you need to be registered with the DVLA and you also need to have your car available for inspection in some cases. If you want to remove your plate because your car has been taxed or has SORN then the same concept applies so you won’t have any problems there at all.

Purchasing a Vehicle

If you have purchased a vehicle then you will need to tell the DVLA about this as well. You will need your 11 digit reference from your last V5C and you will also need the permission of the person who you are applying for, if you are doing it for them. If you have already sent off your V5C via the post then you can’t use this service but you can always give the DVLA a call on the following number: 0300 123 4321. The new owner will need to tax the vehicle before they take it out on the road but if you don’t want to get it taxed right away then it is possible for you to apply for SORN. A lot of people believe that the vehicle is taxed when it is sold because it carries over but this is not the case at all so this is something you need to make note of. If the person who is selling the car has paid the tax for that month already then this will be refunded automatically to the person who is on the V5C at the moment. You can call the DVLA about this Monday to Saturday between the hours of 8am, and 6pm.

Lost, Stolen or Damaged Driving Licenses

It is possible for you to get your driving license replaced if it has been lost, stolen or even damaged so you know you won’t have any problems with this at all. All you need is a government gateway ID and if you don’t have one then you will need to register but you can do this as a part of your registration. You can call the DVLA on this number: 0300 123 4321 if you would like to take a look at the vehicles you can drive, to check your penalty points or to view your disqualifications. You can also create a check code but this is only valid for 21 days. You can’t use this service at all if you have a license that was issued out of England, Wales or Scotland and you can’t use it to check how your application is coming along either. You can’t ring 0300 123 4321 if you want to see your historical information so again, this is something that you need to keep in mind.

Medical Conditions/Disabilities

When you tell the DVLA that you have a condition or a disability then you can expect to hear back from them in around 6 weeks. You will get a letter from them if it takes any longer than this so this is something that you need to keep in mind. When you call the DVLA, you may also need to contact your doctor and they may want to get you examined. In some instances you may need to have a driving test, an eyesight test and even a driving assessment but this is nothing to worry about. Normally you can drive if your application is still undecided. If you need some extra information about this then you can always call them on: 0300 123 4321.

What Will The DVLA Do?

The DVLA will take a look at your condition to see if you need to renew your license. They could do this for a year, two years or even three years, and at the end of this period you will need to have a review to see if you can reapply. In some instances, they may see that your car needs to be adapted in order to meet your needs or they may even take away your license altogether. If it turns out that you need to adapt your vehicle then you can always get an independent assessment of your needs by going to the Forum of Mobility Centre. It is entirely possible for you to appeal against this decision if you feel as though it is wrong and you can do this by calling the number here: 0300 123 4321.

Telling them About Your Condition

You will need to phone the DVLA on 0300 123 4321 if you have developed a medical condition or a form of a disability. You will also need to tell them if your disability has become much worse since you got your license originally. Conditions that are included are physical disabilities, neurological health conditions, epilepsy, strokes and more. If you aren’t sure whether or not you should tell them then you need to find the questionnaire that is suitable for your needs. There are different ones depending on the disability you have and the number here: 0300 123 4321 can help you to find out which one you need. If you don’t tell them about your condition then you may face a fine of £1,000 and you could be prosecuted if an accident happens as a result so this really is something that you need to keep in mind. If you find that you need to give your license up and you do this voluntarily then you may be able to drive again sooner.


I Have A Personalised Registration Plate; Can I Take It Off And Put It On A Certificate?

You can apply to take your plate off your vehicle online and it has never been easier for you to this. When you do it online you can find out how you can take your plate off as well as finding out how you can apply it to another vehicle. If you prefer to use it again then you can do this online as well and all you need to do is get a V778 so it is relatively easy for you to do. Your V778 will be valid for a total of 10 years and if you do not use it during this period then you can extend it for another 10 years so that won’t be a problem.

There Are Cheaper Companies Out There That Can Give Me A New Registration Plate, Are They Given Discounts By The DVLA?

No company who purchases from the DVLA are given a discount. The price is the same for everyone who applies and it doesn’t matter if you are a business or a customer either. There are companies out there that choose to sell personalised registrations and these registrations may come with their own stock of numbers that have come from the DVLA. They may also be from other people’s vehicles who don’t want them anymore so they sell them to make some money. Some people even advertise registrations that are available from the DVLA direct. If you have seen a registration number that you want and it is being advertised by someone other than the DVLA then make sure that you aren’t going to be charged more than the DVLA. Also remember that the DVLA will include fees and VAT as well.

How Do I Contact The DVLA About A Registration?

If you want to contact the DVLA about a registration number then you can do so by calling them on this number: 0300 123 0883. This line is open from Monday to Friday and the hours are 8am to 4pm. If you want to write to them then you can do so by sending your post to this address: DVLA Personalised Registrations, Swansea, SA99 1DS. They will get back to you as soon as they can.

Of course, the DVLA can be contacted about anything, whether you are having problems with your registration or whether you are simply wanting to pay your road tax on time. They can also help you with your disability, your previous suspensions and so much more so you know you can contact them about anything with ease. The DVLA are on Facebook and they are very responsive to messages but for a quicker answer then you are better off giving them a call because this will be much faster when compared to contacting them over the internet.


Review Date
Reviewed Item
Author Rating